Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tribute to a boy's best friend, Andre the giant.





Just a few days ago we got the news that our dog tragically wounded himself and our neighbor had to put him out while we were in Europe. I never understood how people could mourn over a dog, it's just a dog I thought, not a person. But I was quite wrong. Dog's are special members of the family with so much to teach. Aside from the unconditional love he was my children's good friend. Especially Justin who felt like he lost a brother. Justin spent hours playing with Andre, and I think the two had a unique relationship only known to dogs and boys. We adopted Andre a year and a half ago and I think I knew he wouldn't be with us too long because he was older and so I hesitated bonding with him, hoping to save myself from hurting too much when he did go. I was expecting to one day hold him in my arms as he died from old age, but instead he died alone, away from his family to an excruciating brutal death. It's interesting, while I tried to save myself from the hurt of loosing an animal by not giving him my whole heart, I still hurt, perhaps even more for not giving him my all. What a great lesson to apply with our relationships with people. Saints Bernards are a special breed, a magnificant gentle giants with an innate need to watch over, protect and save-thus known as the Saint. So what is a dog anyway? What exactly did God have in mind when he created them? As Trevor and I broke the news to our children and sobs and questions filled the room, I asked these questions myself. To a child, and some people their dog is their world. I found in offering comfort to our children who cried they would never see him again the conviction that we will was stronger than ever. I refuse to believe that animals cease to exsist. And all that I know of God and his deep love for his children, testifies to me that we will see our pets again. Animals are a mere prepatory gateway for the bigger questions and trials that come when losing the people we love. And I know We will miss his kisses, hugs and snoring. We will miss his giant bear like, impressive body. We will miss his need to love us and be with us. We will miss cuddling up to his giant body and having him wrap his arm around us. While we are grateful he shared his life with us and for all he taught us, he will be sorely missed.

No comments: