Thursday, July 28, 2011

BUGS!

Earlier this spring our family studied insects. It was fantastic to get the kits and do some observing and watch the children run to them each morning to observe any changes. I am just NOW getting around to posting because of all the events these last few months. The only thing I didn't get pictures of were the ladybugs-why? I don't know. They were neat. You cant imagine that the pupae stage will turn into a lady bug. But then they hang like a caterpillar does and burst out of their exoskeleton once formed-we then enjoyed setting them free...enjoy!



Our anthill ready to observe
The ants are amazing. They just go to work...without complaining. They know what their mission is and they do it, never ceasing.
The ants have done about all they can do...now we will set them free. These were so fun to watch and observe it reminds me of the scripture Proverbs 6:6-9
"Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise; which having no guide, overseer, or ruler provideth her meat in the summer and gathereth her food in the harvest."


Caterpillars arrive in their little jar with food. They eat and eat until they form a chrysalis

Here they have formed into a chrysalis

They are coming out into their temporary cage

We get to hold them before we set them free and watch them fly off.
This is a neat way to teach people about true conversion. Butterflies are a miracle. They start out as a Caterpillar where they don't see well and are so limited. They then are trapped into a cocoon/chrysalis (the need to accept the atonement) and then they are free to rise to higher grounds and glorify God once free as a butterfly.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What are the chances that I just did the butterflies here with my family, and I JUST posted about them?! I, however, got more stuck in the nastiness of the left over fluids than your take in the last paragraph. Good point!

As I stand now, I have no intentions of attempting the ladybugs. But you liked them! Maybe the ants...maybe I could do the ants!