Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fry Street Quartet?



Lucky,blessed- Heaven answers a mother's prayer. I remember last Spring I knew I would be losing yet another violin teacher for my daughters due to them moving. I knew there were only students left to teach. Sometimes as a mother you have intuition for your children on what would be best. Don't get me wrong the teachers they had previously were fantastic. But there comes a point when the training needs to advance. As a mother you feel that and it is very strong. I knew for a long time that Russell would be good for the girls and I had my eye on him. But I am not a musician, and have a little known name in this political, who knows who world. Yet I was brave and had Nonie (the teacher moving) ask him and he said he was too busy. Then during last years spring concert I saw him in the front row and I said a little prayer that if he was meant to be their teacher he would. Well, he came up to me afterwards and said, "I would like to work something out." Who doesn't want to take from him, but he is very selective-he has to be. He has been a fabulous mix with his once a month master classes and Diane Austin who studied with Dr. Suzuki in Japan while he was alive. It was a blessing she took me last minute as well.
If that is not fortunate enough. I have been stuck with the same dilema with my cellist. There are only student teachers-and hers, Rosalie is moving. And I suppose I have been spoiled and know the difference now between a seasoned teacher and a student. So I aimed for the moon, sent it with a prayer and asked Anne Francis if she would take Jessica. This talented lady is in high demand with a two year waiting list. But She will take her now!! I had written her about Jessica and her unusual interest in music. She will play for hours, give up a movie to go play her cello. Make comments about the music in the movies and say "I want my music to be so beautiful it makes people cry." She spends most the time at Grandma's and Grandpa's playing and composing on the piano. She reminds me of the August Rush boy. Always thinking of music. (Are you reading this Carrie, it's a good thing it didn't work out with her, because it is so fun to have a cellist. Although I am sorry for all you went through as her violin teacher.) So we had a lesson with Anne and she will take her!! I feel so blessed. That me, just some Ericksen is working with World reknown people to assist my daughters.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wonderful! Glad both worked out. A great teacher (and the desire of your daughters) makes all the difference. How far do you have to drive to get to each?

Emily said...

WAY TO GO!! You are the best mom ever. You're girls are so lucky. You are definitely giving a gift to the world by allowing them to develop their talents. It's a pure joy to listen to them play!

Patty and Kevin said...

Wow! That's great news! Jessica is an AMAZING musician. I loved teaching her and was so sad when I couldn't teach anymore. Anne is fantastic. Jessica is destined for cello greatness. Will you please keep me posted on any recitals/performances? I'd love come. It was a neat experience to hear her at the ASTA honors recital! Tell her "hello" from me!

Nonie said...

Great news, Alena! Thank you for posting this. Fry Street sure is a blessed asset to dear Cache Valley, huh! My sister from SL studies with Anne as well (she's 17), so maybe you'll run into her sometime. She adores her lessons. Keep us posted on all progress!! :)

Violadiva said...

What is that old adage, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears"? It's fun to see your girls bloom into the musicians they were meant to become.