Monday, May 24, 2010

Succor His people


I am getting caught up on some Ensigns and have come across some things that have really jumped out at me. Challenges in life are never easy. But we have a choice in adversity to search within the deepest reaches of our heart and find deep down truths that we know but have set aside or to feel angry and ignore those truths. I am thankful that no matter how low I have been, I have always been able to recognize my testimony and these truths (this is not an invitation for harsher trials). Harold B. Lee said, "Sometimes when we are going through the most sever tests, we will be nearer to God than we have any idea." Sometimes suffering comes by our own agency and other times by the agency of others but in every situation Christ is there to succor his people. "Christ suffered pains, afflictions, and temptations of every kind so he could be filled with mercy and know how to succor his people according to their infirmities" (Alma 7: 11-12). There is a simple element of truth and a principle to embrace here. It is the key of forgiveness. Christ is able to forgive because he has compassion. He suffered all that he may know how to succor. I think back to all the times in my life that required forgiveness on my part. Forgiveness was given because compassion was found. While all the key points of the atonement are deeper than I believe we can comprehend in this life, compassion is the basic key to enabling one to forgive. And I believe forgiveness is one of the things we must learn in this life, it is a Godlike characteristic. Furthermore, once again, the atonement is not for the sinner alone but the sufferer. Many times in my life when I needed someone to understand, I knew Christ could. It is comforting to me to know that he knows everything about me, how I feel, what I have been through and what my potential/intentions are/were. It is humbling and gratifying to know that he will be my defender. I am grateful for these truths. I am grateful I am learning the true character of God. I find joy in the testimony that has never let me down and for a patient Father and Brother who know me well. This past Sunday I was called, unexpectedly, into the Primary Presidency. This is a humbling calling for me. One I am grateful for and feel absolutely unworthy of. But I am honored that God would think enough of me to put me in the care of his little ones. Rest assured, I will do my utmost best. For I have covenanted to him with a resolution to serve him all the days of my life.

No comments: