Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Our School Experience

The front desk, which became my responsibility.
Honestly, I didn't think I would make it through the school year. From 5am to 10pm our days looked something like this: 5am get up and get Alexis off to seminary by 6. 6:15 wake up the rest of the kids. Try to get beds made, prayers said, teeth brushed, uniforms on, matching socks on the boys (aparently they didn't care about that so I had to), Hair done, sometimes helping all 6 children, breakfast served, backpacks packed, lunches packed-all 7, waterbottles packed-all 7, and out the door by 7 to be to the school 35-40 minutes away by 7:45. Once I was there I ran from job to job that the headmaster had me do. She seemed pleased with my work. She even complimented me on my last week of work, "I am going to miss you. You have given me a work ethic that I haven't seen in a long time and don't get from my employees that have worked here for years." I was satisfied that after really never having a job, I was intrusted with a great deal of work and did my best.
Bean dip. A nice break from breads
(One of my favorite "fast" meals)
Craziness didnt end there. What about 6 children who needed help with homework that lasted some nights until 10? What about the assembly line of baths? What about the uniforms that needed to be set out the night before, checking for pressed shirts and ties and school logo pins? And most importantly, though often it didn't feel like it, was our once cherished scripture study time. That had to be fit in there too. I missed our nightly devotionals as a family. Where we would read and discuss scriptures and our current classic story book. You would think weekends would be a break, not so. This is where the most work was piled onto them. They had to say no to most social events. We didn't do anything for 5 months but study, drive, eat, sleep, dress and bathe. It was the opposite experience of the bubble we had in Arizona. A good experience, but I am glad it is done.
(MaKayla with some peers before school) (Jessica tutoring with Ms. Ware) I have been working with tutors during this summer and I am impressed at the rate that they are learning. I continue at home to teach them many things too. When Trevor's year commitment is up in January, we will see what new adventure awaits us.
(Brett and Joseph)
(An assembly with Joseph and Brett's class doing devotional)
Justin with friends
Justin is performing for Fine Arts Week. Here are the pictures from the Shakespeare play preparation. Alexis was in King Lear and MaKayla Midsummer's night
What's hilarious is MaKayla is standing next to a fourth grader boy and fifth grader girls...she's in seventh grade and still tiny.

1 comment:

Karlee, Tyson, Erin and Rylee said...

Wow, that pic of the lunches is crazy! Your lunches look good and healthy! Job well done on a year of school.